Saturday 16 October 2010

Stained Glass
























Last week I visited the York Glaziers Trust researching imagery for 'Rose'. I spent the morning with Nick Teed. I spent a fascinating time as he explained in detail how the windows were made originally and the processes that they go through in restoration. The tools and methods that they use now are the same as they were eight centuries ago. I was able to hold in my hand a portrait of a man from eight centuries ago, a perfect miniature in glass. All the more incredible as these images can never be appreciated like this normally as they are 40m away in the minster windows. Anyone can see them in close up however, as the Glaziers Trust have open days for the public at which they explain their work. Fascinating! Visit the York Glaziers Trust website for more details of visits to their studios.


'Rose' will be a Son et Lumière artwork in which I am collaborating with Karen Monid. It is part of 'Illuminating York' and runs from the 27th to the 30th October 2010.